Saturday, April 12, 2008

American Idol's Nameless Savior

I wept during American Idol tonight. Probably not for the reason the show’s producers hoped I would be in tears. it was not the fact that Idol raised millions to help the poor that I cried (although I love the fact that they are “giving back.”) Nope, the reason I wept was at the omission of one name. The name I love more than anything else in the world.
The beautiful name of Jesus.
The talented final eight contestants gathered on stage for a final performance and sang (to my shock and awe) “Shout to the Lord!” When I heard the familiar chords playing I sprinted from my office to the living room and watched in disbelief as the Idol contestants belted out one of my all-time favorite praise songs.
I praised right on with them….until the chorus that is.
I waited as the music built for the dramatic chorus and I anticipated the next line.
Would Michael Johns actually sing “my Jesus, my Savior?”
Alas, he would not.
It seems the producers omitted the Source, the Person, the Savior for which the song is written and ironically the Only One who can deliver the poor and give genuine hope to the nations.
When the contestants finished “shouting to a nameless Lord” I fell on my knees and wept for the state of this world. We cry out for mercy for the poor, healing for the hurt, and hope for the hopeless—and yet, we reject the God who offers us life itself.
I’m not anti-Idol now. I’m just sad.
So, as the credits rolled I sat crossed legged on my hard wood floors and wept for a world that needs redemption and grieved at a moment of authentic worship that could have been.
But, the one thing I know is this…no one will omit His name from my lips. I’ll close with some powerful words from the book of Acts. May they remind all of us of the power in the Name of Jesus!

With that, Peter, full of the Holy Spirit, let loose: "Rulers and leaders of the people, if we have been brought to trial today for helping a sick man, put under investigation regarding this healing, I'll be completely frank with you—we have nothing to hide. By the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, the One you killed on a cross, the One God raised from the dead, by means of his name this man stands before you healthy and whole. Jesus is 'the stone you masons threw out, which is now the cornerstone.' Salvation comes no other way; no other name has been or will be given to us by which we can be saved, only this one."
Acts 4:10-12 (The Message)

1 comment:

SheriYates said...

Hi Marian. I spoke with you just briefly this past weekend at the OK Women's batpist retreat. I encourage you to know that you reach ALL ages - across the board. God's word spoken will not return void! I was blown away by your prayer and that is why I attended your session!

I have a blog and a new one I am trying to transfer over to, but it is taken too long.:O) It is the IdentityinChrist.blogspot.com, but I think this one is linked to Sheriyates.blogspot.com.

I don't have alot of commenters, only a few readers.

I love what you wrote (so well) about American Idol! I love how Jesus got all the glory the following day! I just believe that some high ranking officer on AI was REDEEMED through Jesus! I wrote something also, but not as beautiful as you put it!

Girl, you have an amazing message! I was honored to be a part of sitting in on your group and seeing the power of the Lord Jesus flow through you! Keep it UP! Keep taking all the tough comments, persecution and negative junk the world throughs at you captive to the Lord! I know you know that, but I am just Heb. 3:13 YOU!

I would love to keep in contact. Love in Jesus, Sheri