Monday, April 21, 2008

You had me at “fried pie!”

As an author and speaker my work keeps me traveling.
For this reason, I’m blessed to see and experience the uniqueness of this amazing country of ours. Just recently I happened upon another cultural phenom….the fried pie.
Now, if you are from the South you’ve probably experienced the delicious goodness that I’m about to describe.
If not, then I’m sorry for so many reasons.


a. The fried pie is exactly what the name implies—a pie that is fried.
b. Within the flaky folded fried dough one can put their choice of filling: peach, blueberry, chocolate, pecan, and of course, apple.

I’m an apple girl.

I encountered the carb and sugar gold mine off Route 77 in Oklahoma just 3 miles shy of the high road to Falls Creek Camp. But girls, let me just say my mouth started watering the minute I saw the gigantic billboard promising “fried pies ahead” miles before on the interstate. When I saw the sign I began explaining to my traveling companions my affinity for the fried pie. You see, my grandmother made these for me when I was a little girl AND you get all the goodness of an apple pie in a convenient hand-size package.

What’s not to love?
As we neared the exit, I thought to myself, “Will my skinny little girlfriends really stop for a treat?” Then, clearing my throat I asked, “Do you think we have enough time for a quick stop?” From the back seat my size 2 friend said,
“Girlfriend, You had me at fried pie!”
You simply have no idea how much I loved all 100 pounds of her in that moment.

Elated with our off-the-beaten path discovery, we veered off our route for fried pie paradise. Once inside we walked straight up to the counter where we were greeted by the loveliest woman you’ll ever meet. I’m sure it’s hard not to be bubbly when you’re making other people happy all day long.

I digress.
After much debate amongst my traveling crew concerning apple or apricot and to split or not to split—we finally landed on two pies each in a variety of flavors so that we could each get a nibble.
Words fail …Grandma …I’m sorry, but that was the best thing I’ve ever tasted.


So, like I said I was in Oklahoma that particular weekend to speak at a women’s conference. Naturally, before I began my first talk I described in detail and with much passion the fried pie experience.

Fast-forward two days.

On our way back to the airport we decided to stop again at Fried Pie Paradise and stock up for the flight home. As we pulled back in the parking lot we gasped at the sight before our eyes….there was now a line wrapping through the building and out into the parking lot!
It seems my testimony had power.
As I stood in line for nearly an hour to purchase my road trip treat I thought about the power of a personal testimony.

A testimony is simply one person’s account of something. As Christians, our testimonies are our explanation to the world of what God has done in our lives.
For example, my testimony is …
· Jesus redeemed me from a life of sin by dying in my place on the cross.
· Jesus healed me from the painful events of my past and put the broken pieces of my life back together again.
· Jesus is transforming me from the inside out—I am a new creation! I am a redeemed girl!
· Jesus is the reason I live. He gives my life purpose and power.
· Jesus guides me, leads me, protects me, provides for me….
· Jesus, He loves me.
· Jesus is my testimony.


Friends, in Jesus Christ we have something far better than a momentary treat to share with others…we have the key to life itself. Yet, so often we remain silent about the very thing we should be the most passionate about….our relationship with Him.

As I stood in line at Fried Pie Paradise I hoped and prayed that the women from the conference walked away with far more than a tip on a great place to get dessert. My greatest desire is that they know My Redeemer.

I learned a lesson that day. If Redeemed Girls would begin to testify about their Redeemer with the same amount of passion and enthusiasm as we do about new shoes, new recipes, new sales, new diet secrets—our “testimonies” would rock this world with God’s grace.

So dear friend, share the love. Tell the world. Don’t keep a secret your testimony in Jesus Christ. Perhaps, one day a friend will say to you, "Girl, you had me at Jesus."

And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. 1 John 5:11-12

No comments: