Monday, March 2, 2009

Breaking Up With the Bachelor

Pardon me while I rant.
I just finished watching The Bachelor and I’m steamed. Wait a minute. That word doesn’t come close enough to how I feel right now. As I write my roommates are offering me synonyms to express my emotions. They like “ticked, irate, and peeved.” I’m going to go with righteous anger.

That is saying it mildly.

For those of you who missed it, this season’s bachelor, Jason proposed marriage to Melissa only to decide a few weeks following his proposal that he’d made a mistake and therefore should pursue the other girl …..because golly… he never expected he could be “in love” with both women. And “shucks” it was only a few weeks after the show that the reality of engagement didn’t feel like the fantasy world they’d once shared on television.

Here’s my problem. Jason represents what the world teaches about marriage. His philosophy is that commitment lasts just as long as chemistry sizzles. He believes that feelings determine decisions NOT morals, vows, integrity or commitment.

I’ve had enough.

I politely sat back and watched adultery celebrated in the recent movie “He’s Just Not That Into You.” The characters justified an affair because they “just wanted to be happy” and “what if they hadn’t married The One.”

THIS IS ALL GARBAGE!!!

Love is not something you “feel” one day and you don’t the next. That, my friends is called lust. Frankly, love aint’ a feeling….it is a CHOICE. It is choosing to put someone else’s needs above your own. It is self-less. It is a keeping a commitment despite how you feel. It si something that can’t be experiences in a six week dating show…it is cultivated and proven over a lifetime.

The way the Bachelor threw around the sacred words of “love” and “marriage” tonight made me literally sick at my stomach. I was disgusted. Sick, because I know the mind-set is the reason the divorce rate is over 60% …it’s because the world has deceived us into believing that our feelings are the most important determiner for decision making. The world has deceived us into believing that marriage is a contract…not a commitment. The world has deceived us into believing you can do anything as long as it makes “you happy.”

Ok. I feel better.

P.S. All I have to say to sweet Melissa from Dallas who got dumped on television tonight is, “What seems like rejection is God’s protection.”
I don’t know her, but I wanted to tell her to “run” and thank God all the way home in her limo tonight because God spared her a marriage to a man who doesn’t know the meaning of commitment. …who lives only by his fickle feelings and who can not be trusted to keep his vows. .

I’m just sayin….

4 comments:

Kristi said...

I couldn't agree more!!!! Any chance you would allow me to quote you in a note on my facebook and refer people to your site? I'm incensed (there's a word for ya! :P) at the way he treated all this.

Marian Jordan said...

go right ahead.

Megan & Stephen said...

Amen!

Jennifer said...

Why did you "politely" sit back and watch any of it? Do you really expect the mainstream media to tell you anything else? "The Bachelor" is one of the most disgustingly sexist shows ever created. The fact that the majority of its audience is women just shows how far our gender has fallen from the days of demanding equality and respect. Why would any man--or woman for that matter--respect women like that?