Thursday, June 26, 2008

Freedom in America

I will not celebrate the 4th of July in the United States this year.

Honestly, I can't recall the last time I was on American soil for our national holiday.Kind of weird, huh? For the past six years I've been overseas the first week of July, so I have missed the fireworks, the food, and the fun red, white, and blue festivities.

This year I will be in Sydney, Australia attending the Hillsong Conference (which I've attended for the past two years.) The year before that, I spent the summer studying in Oxford, and well, the year before that I was gone on an overseas mission trip.So....It's been a really long time since i've stopped and contemplated what it means to live in this country.Until tonight that is...

This evening was 100% USA !!! An All-American, Norman Rockwell, Mayberry Moment. I went with some friends to the Houston Astros baseball game tonight because our friend and pastor Craig Reynolds was inducted into the Texas Baseball Hall of Fame. (Craig played for the Astros organization for years and is not only one of my favorite people on the planet, but he was also an incredible athlete. Congratulations Craig)

Back to my point. So, I'm at the baseball game (America's favorite pastime by the way) and I couldn't help but feel patriotic with the hotdogs, peanuts, and a stirring, three-part-harmony rendition of our National Anthem. I don't care how many times i hear that song, I still get a little choked up. I think it is the "rockets’ red glare" moment that gets me.I really enjoyed the game, although I can't tell you who won...I was too busy people watching and talking, of course.

Good times.

So, I arrive home from my blissful summer evening, still with a little bit of a patriotic spring in my step, and settled down for a few minutes to read the news before going to bed. What I discovered guaranteed that I would not be sleeping for a while.

I ran across an article in the NYTimes about our Christian Brothers and Sisters in Iraq. These men and women are facing intense persecution. Many are killed, tortured, and blackmailed because of their faith. I can guarantee you one thing; none of them know the meaning of "freedom of religion."

As I read of the horrific circumstances these Christians endure I thought two things: First, we must pray! These men and women are losing their lives for the name of Jesus. This isn't a story from The Book of Martyrs; this is in the NY Times for crying out loud! And second, it occurred to me that we Americans really have no clue what holiday we are about to celebrate. I know I don't really get it. Do we really have a clue about the freedom we enjoy?
The freedom to worship however we choose.
The freedom to openly confess the name of Jesus without fear of death.
The freedom to simply disagree.

Friends, please read this article about our Brothers and Sisters in Iraq. Pray for them. Also, don't allow this upcoming holiday to slip by without contemplating and celebrating the freedom we have in our country. It is a gift. Thank God for it and use this time to lift up Christians around the globe persecuted for the cause of Christ.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/26/world/middleeast/26christians.html?ex=1372219200&en=75ac9af39160c213&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

No comments: